After a little R&R following the election, here are some of the things that the leadership team of Change150 are currently working on. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to share them directly with Jim, Theresa or Dan. We are so much more effective when we work together.
1. Laura Petelle has her seat until June 30th so we don’t think the board is going to do much, if anything until then.
2. In the meantime, an independent committee is being formed to vet candidates who want to be endorsed by Change150 and our partners. The committee is on its way to being formed and should be finalized in the next week. It is our understanding that the committee includes a few retired administrators, a representative from the NAACP, some from the union and a parent or two. This is an independent group who does not answer to Change150 or to any other group. Change150.org is only acting as a clearinghouse for candidates and forwarding their names to the committee.
3. As a clearinghouse, our website has a dedicated email address that directly forwards emails to the committee. To keep things fair, nobody from Change150 will see candidates’ applications or essays. They go straight to the committee.
4. Anyone who wants to be vetted and possibly endorsed by Change150, the application process includes: name, contact info, resume and answer to these three questions:
- What is the reason(s) that you would want to be a school board member?
- What qualifications or skills do you possess that would make you a good board member?
- What issues would you want to see addressed to improve the school district?
NOTE: All applicants must apply with the school board individually to be considered by the Board. This application is for endorsement by Change150 and others.
5. Once a candidate has his/her information & essays together, they should email it to firstname.lastname@example.org Again, this email goes straight to the committee.
6. The independent committee has set an application deadline of Sunday, April 6th. Anyone may apply.
7. If a candidate does not want to be vetted by the independent committee, they are free to apply directly to the board and forgo the Change150 application and vetting process.
8. While the vetting process is going on, the leadership of Change150 will continue to work with members of the community in order to advance the mission of change through promoting the 5 Core Issues and Value Statement and to answer any questions they may have.
9. Everyone is encouraged to continue to speak at board meetings and in letters to the editor. Terry Knapp, Sharon Crews and their PSD150 Watch Group have a lot of experience researching school-related issues. Terry has said they are more than happy to help and provide direction.