How Were Dan Adler & Ernestine Jackson Selected As Change150’s Candidates?
Let’s look in depth at the process that produced Change150’s two candidates.
The Change150 vetting committee was made up of:
- 2 members of the NAACP
- 2 currently employed teachers from the IFT
- 2 currently employed school support personnel from the IFT
- 1 parent
- 1 former District 150 school board member
- 2 former District 150 school administrators, one of who served as
a Change150 representative
This team of 10 concerned stakeholders interviewed the 6 (out of 9) school board candidates who chose to go through the vetting process on January 17, 2015.
It was communicated that Change150 would endorse 1 candidate running for the 4-year term and 1 candidate running for the 5-year term.
The primary criteria for the selection included:
- motivation for running for the school board
- previous and/or current involvement/experience with District 150
- understanding of the challenges facing District 150
- concern for all students in the District (i.e. District-wide
- having realistic and workable strategies for addressing challenges
- ability to communicate effectively
- personal character
- leadership style and ability to lead
- alignment with Change150 values and issues
A standard set of questions and appropriate follow-up questions were asked, including:
- What is your motivation for being a school board member and what
has been your experience with Peoria Public Schools?
- What do you think are the biggest challenges/issues facing the
district, as well as a couple of things that could be celebrated?
- How do you deal with conflict? Could you give us an example of a
conflict situation you have experienced and what you did?
- What is your position on charter schools?
- How do you lead? (What is your leadership style?)
- What are the issues upon you running What would you like to see
The vetting committee was impressed by all the candidates and believes that several would make outstanding board members. Based on the candidates’ answers during the interview process, the representative coalition of 10 that made up the Change150 Vetting Team determined that DAN ADLER and ERNESTINE JACKSON were the best candidates to run for School Board this April 7th.